Friday, February 14, 2014

Happy Valentines Day

    I know that Valentines Day is (now) a manufactured holiday.  I still like it.  It happens right when I start to miss the "rush" of Christmas.  All the bright red and pinks contrast nicely against the gloom of gray and white and dull brown.
   So I plan.  I plan a meal of red and hearts.  Usually spaghetti.  I even bought heart shaped pasta from a fund raiser last fall for this very event.  I make Jell-O jigglers (like them better than the regular recipe) and buy strawberries.  I make heart shaped sugar cookies. Even put candles on the table.
    Yep, I like Valentine's Day.
    This year, though, they called and asked if I would come into work (heart work!) until closing.  On Fridays, closing is at 5 so it wouldn't have been a problem at all to come home and boil water, throw the bought salad into a bowl and cut up the Jell-O.  I didn't make the cookies but we have plenty of candy so it was going to be ok.
    At 4:50 I got a text.  "You worked.  I ordered pizza. I love you."  Pasta wouldn't have been a problem at all.  Truly.  But it is something so small that makes me want to cry.  It is these little things that say I was thinking about you and I love you and you are important to me.
    Like:
    "Hey, I know we are both tired and brain dead at the end of the day but I know that family dinner is important to you so I when I saw these child oriented conversation starters, I bought them."
    Or:
    "I made a doctors appointment for you on that day you needed it because I knew you were really busy today but wanted to get it done."
   Ok, so he doesn't say it quite that way.  But what really matter is what I hear -
    I love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment