Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The impact of dates.

     Yesterday, It was 3 years.  We were doing ok.  We knew it was coming but we were ok.  Much more than last year.  Sure, I had some fits but I tried to remember not to rewind the tape and move forward.
     And then we woke up on the 19th. 
    Jarrad got snipey with me because I kept asking what he was thinking about.   He then apologized and we reminded each other that we were a team. We went through the day. 
    But it is amazing how little things can be such a gut punch.
    He gave me a hug and I burst into tears.  And no, people, I am not PMSing.  I started to cry because he was still here to hug me.  I looked at the clock and saw it was 2:30.  Cried.  Went to work and had a coworker ask me how I was - cried.  Each time I looked at the clock, my thoughts went to 3 years ago: Oh, the doctors are prepping Jarrad.  Oh.  I a need to go to 2nd floor surgery.  Oh. The longer Jarrad was is in surgery, the better because it means that they are able to "fix" things.  And I remember everything - all of the numbing emotions, the surrealness. The inability to comprehend what was being said.
    I don't want this date to have that kind of power.
    I am hoping with time that it will stop.  
    I can talk about making conscious choices and looking at the facts as opposed to emotions all I want but the truth is that sometimes it doesn't matter at all.  Sometimes, emotions are there and you have to ride them out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment