Friday, July 29, 2016

and then...

    There is a phrase "they dropped a bomb".  It means to say something so world changing, so explosive that it leaves everyone broken.
    But where is the phrase that means you want to tell people something but don't know how to say it because you can't really start a conversation with it as there is no transition and then you are left with awkwardness because no one knows how to transition away from it?
    That's what this post is.  I have told 5 people.  All wonderful friends and I don't know how to tell or what to say after I receive the genuine emotion.
     I just feel awkward.
     And sad. 
     My mother in law passed late Wednesday.
    I am glad we went to see her last week. It seems so weird that last week, we saw her, talked with her. Hugged her.  I helped her to change one day and she asked me what Jarrad had gotten me for our 8th anniversary (its been 12 years).  I showed her the ear rings and bracelet I was wearing. She said he did well. 
    She was a woman who loved her son.  She spoiled him by making his favorite dishes when she came.  She had a kind heart and couldn't sit still for long.  She always wanted to help - even when I didn't want her too!  She taught me that wearing an apron is always a good idea! She was sociable and knew how to make small talk - I guess that comes with being a minister's wife.  She was always concerned with the comfort of others.  She could be quite stubborn.
     I can't tell you how many times she changed her name but it was a few and I thought that was cool.  I asked her once what her original hair color was  - and she said she couldn't remember!  She always wanted to bake or cook with the kids because that is what she had done with her grandmother.  We didn't always see eye to eye and I am sure that she could be as frustrated with me as I was with her at times.  But we had one very important thing in common, we both loved Jarrad and wanted him to be happy.

   
   She was my husband's mother.  She was my children's Nana.  She will be missed.


No comments:

Post a Comment