Tuesday, August 7, 2012

attempt to be positive

     When I was in my late teens /early 20's, I hated Oprah.  My sister and I would go on trips or plan on doing something and inevitably, Oprah would have an episode where some poor girl was kidnapped or lost in the desert or robbed and my mom would instantly think that would happen to us.  I remember one time she saw an episode about a child abduction case and told us not to go to the bathroom alone.  You know, because someone would make us - in our 20's - put on boy clothes and walk us out under the noses of the security guard. 
     I am not saying this to make light of the above situations - they were very serious and my mom worried about us.  I say this because sometimes our fears for our loved ones makes us very aware and very worried and sometimes, the worries get the better of us. 
     One thing that Oprah did do that I appreciated was her practice of writing 5 good things that happened to her on a daily basis.  I think this is a very biblical practice.  It is also a very hard thing to do.  See, when you think of those things that are good, you "dwell on it" and that in turns forces you to praise God.  Because everything that is good comes from Him. It also makes you realize that your worries are not so big when you look at your blessings and it makes it just a bit easier to give said worries to God because you have proof of His love and care for you.  Kind of funny how that works.
     Jarrad sent me a devotion today and one phrase struck me - our trials aren't about us but about how others see God working in our lives.  Part of that is our attitude toward our trials.  Job refused to curse God.  And he was a man of many trials. 
     Which brings us to my posts.  I know I am allowed to express myself fully.  I need to.  It is cathartic and necessary for my sanity but I need to also express the positive that occurs in this situation. 
     So positive:
1.  Friends - OH MY!  I have fabulous friends.  WE have fabulous friends.  Jarrad's beer club friends have set up this bottle auction and it is just taking off.  Every time I read something about how this restaurant or store or person did this or that, I am just amazed at how God is working on the hearts of people.  Our friends have surrounded us with amazing love and support.  I shake my head in awe at the amazing people who love us. 
2.  Family - I am living at my parents' house.  Every weekend, I sleep at my sister's.  If I need to be with Jarrad, I can go.  My brothers and their wives check up on me and visit Jarrad.  AND my siblings' in-laws have offered help.  I can stay at their houses or if I need something, I know I can call them. Periodically, I get cards with gifts that are "just for me".  All I can say is  - wow.
3.  Talking to a psychologist - yes, I did it.  I know, a bunch of you (all those family and friends that I love) have somewhat subtly and not so subtly have told me to talk to someone.  Well I did.  And it helped - happy now??  It was good and you were right.  blah - sticking my tongue out at all of you! 
4.  Jarrad - Do I need to explain?  I love him and am so very, very amazed that he loves me and we are together.
     I know that is only 4 but I think 1 and 2 are multiples. So that counts as more than 5. 
Ahh, see it does make me feel better.  I have so much to be grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment