Wednesday, September 19, 2012

and gifts of prayer

Dear Jarrad,
      This prayer shawl was knit specifically for you.  As I knit I prayed for your healing.  For guidance for your caregivers, for your patience, for your family and friends that they might know the right time to be with you, to speak and when to just listen.  I prayed that you would feel God's love and his presence in your life and your care.
     Jarrad, the reason that I knit prayer shawls is that I believe them to be a tactile reminder that God is with us.  I hope that when you put it across your lap or around your shoulders that you feel his hug and get comfort.  When I finished knitting your shawl, I made a swatch of the same yarn which will be my talisman and reminder to keep you and your family in my prayers in the weeks and months to come.  Know that there are people may not even have met who are praying for you and caring for you from near and far.  You and your family have not been forgotten.  We are here to support you as you need it.
              In Christ's peace -
    See the lovely purple shawl?  That is what came with the gift of prayer.  I am familiar with the concept of prayer shawls.  They are popular here.  Right after "THE ACCIDENT"  friends showed up with the red shawl, wrapped me in it and then wrapped their arms around me as they prayed.
     I heard a sermon once (ok, I am an English teacher and that was very vague so I will start over).  One sermon that I heard that really struck me was on the Lord's prayer.  What I brought away from that message was that God knew that, sometimes, we would not be able to think clearly enough to be able to formulate a prayer.  sometimes, we would be weary and need to come to Him through prayer in order to find rest (another sermon).  So we are given an outline -the Lord's prayer.  
     I repeat the Lord's prayer over and over sometimes.  It comforts me.  Much as I think a strand of rosary beads comforts a catholic.  I like the idea of touching something like that to represent a prayer when I don't have the words to say one; something physical for the cry of my heart. Perhaps it is the idea that we all need touch for comfort.  I imagine this wonderful lady trailing her fingers over each swatch that she has made of soft yarn, perhaps not remembering the individual need but knowing that the need for God's comfort. 
     The knowledge of a prayer for you is powerful.  Knowing the specifics of a prayer said is powerful.  That makes this letter so important and this shawl so valued to me (as I sit here typing, wearing it).  I can read these words and know that they were said. 
     I asked a prayer warrior for prayer once via email.  She replied with the specifics of what she would pray for.  I liked the idea and it comforted me so I challenge you that the next time you say that you will pray for someone, that you take the time (email, snail mail, text) to send them the prayer that you pray.  Perhaps it will echo the cry of their heart. 







No comments:

Post a Comment