Monday, September 16, 2013

Lovely weekend

   This weekend has been lovely.  Sometimes you just need a bit of loveliness in your life - it gives life a glow and you a rest.  Saturday, Jarrad had a brew day with some friends and I walked Emma to a friend's house for a play date.  Friend's mom also happens to be my friend so while the girls played, we sat on the front porch, drank coffee and chatted.  Nice, nice way to start the weekend.  I am all about taking a day of rest which I define as a day to do something that makes you happy, feel relaxed or have a sense of accomplishment.  So, yeah!  Good start.
   I came home to see my son hanging out with the guys.  I took a minute to absorb the scene in front of me.  4 men, all intelligent, with integrity, compassion and kindness.  As I watched, I saw them talk to my son, let him handle a screw driver, touch his head, call him buddy. None of which they had to do.  And I thought I want this - every day, for my son.  I want him to be surrounded by men that he should grow up to be like.  I feel lucky.  And sad because it should be that way for every boy.  I am so happy my boy has it.  He had fun.  When it started to get a little hectic, I called him in to play with me but he had to keep checking on "the guys".
    "Hey Guys!  Whatcha doing?"
    "Hey Guys!  Do you need help?"
    "Hey Guys!  Do you want a fruit pop?"
    They are cool guys.
    Later, as the kids were getting ready for bed, Emma, who has had a very wiggly tooth asked me to pull it out.  1 . . . 2 . . . 3. . .  and out it came.  I know that there was a bit of pain but she did really well.  Into the Tooth Fairy pillow it went and there it stayed until 7:30 the next morning when she woke up and checked to see what the tooth fairy left her.
    Mommy fail.
    ARGH!
   "Mommy, why didn't the Tooth Fairy take my tooth?"
   "I don't know, Honey, let's try again tonight.  Maybe she was on vacation because it is the weekend."
    Crisis averted.
    UNTIL . . .
    "Mommy!  My tooth fell down the drain!"
   "How did that happen?"
   "I was washing it because I thought it might be too dirty and that was why the Tooth Fairy didn't come and it slipped."
    Comfort.  Comfort.  Finally happy and watching cartoons.
   Meanwhile, the Tooth Fairy has snuck in,  used her magic to fish out the errant tooth and left a note explaining that there had been a record number of teeth lost the day before (Junior Hockey League Tournament) and her assistant was had been sick with a tooth ache (of all things!) and so the Tooth Fairy had hoped that Emma had slept in but realized she was too late when she saw Emma washing her tooth.  But she had pulled it from the drain because Emma has very good teeth.
    Happy girl.
   Mommy save!
   Whoo hoo!
   Finally, to make this a truly lovely weekend. . . 
  We have been going to Sunday School.  I made the comment that I liked it because I got to sit next to Jarrad as opposed to church where I sit in the pew in front of him.  We sit in the back because, well, it was either there or the front and the front was too hard - special music and guests usually sat there so we would sometimes be with out a seat and Jarrad had to sit sideways and crane his neck.  Sitting in the back is so much better.
   Anyway, we sit in the back.  When the Sunday school teacher heard my comment, she was stricken.  It was not something she had thought about and she likes to sit next to her husband and why didn't we ever say anything and I should take that chair.  I smiled, shrugged and didn't take the chair.  She did.  Put it right in our "pew" and told the ushers it was to be there every Sunday for us.
     One of the 80 something ushers told me that as long as he was there, that chair would be there and I was not to put it away, he would take care of it.
    It was a little thing.  I missed sitting next to Jarrad. 
No one else had thought of it because, well, why should they?  But when it was brought to their attention, they almost seemed ashamed that they hadn't.
   I really liked sitting next to Jarrad in church.
   So nice.
  And to add the icing on the cake - went to lunch and made some new friends.  They were great with our kids - didn't care that they were rammy and played with them.  Talked to them.  We laughed and spent 2 hours in the restaurant.  Can you believe it?
    Happy, happy weekend!   
 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment