Monday, December 16, 2013

Dear Santa

    I remember when my kids were littler, Santa scared them.  Oh, from a distance, they would be fine.  But when you got up close, it was a different story.  For awhile, they would only talk to Mrs. Claus.  Good friends have a costume set and would go around the neighborhood as one or the other.  Mrs. Claus would come to a playdate and read us a story and give out little bells.  Santa would come later.  I think that I only got this picture because Mrs. Claus was there.
    Emma seemed to be scared till about 5.  Sam, he got over his fright last year.  But their fear never stopped them from asking for presents.  Emma wrote her letter this year and Sam dictated his to me.  I thought that I would share. 
       Emma wrote that she is a good big sister (she really is) and good BFF (she and her BFF wrote the letters together) and helped decorate the house for Christmas (the kid practically knocked me down to get to the decorations).  She said that she wants Skylanders (sorry kid! Will Disney Infinity do?) Aladin (ahhh!  Not released!) and a Switch and Go Dino (so she can play with Sam).
    Sam wrote that he has been both good and bad (at least he is honest) and that he cleans his room and makes his bed (under severe duress) and that he doesn't always listen to Mommy (true - I think it might be a gender thing) and he would like a Switch and Go Dino, a scooter, a dragon, a new Big Boots and a Helicopter Switch and Go Dino.
    He is getting the Dino . . .
    Their letters make me laugh.  I take them to Target and let them make a list that I turn around and send to relatives.   They don't have to buy from Target but it gives them an idea of what the kids are into (and sizes).  And the kids get to know that they don't get everything that they put on the list.
      Do you ever want to make a list for Santa?  A long, impossible list?  Did you see you seen the airline that gave its passengers presents?  It is pretty cool. The kids all ask for things with an assurance that they will  get it.  The adults ask for things and laugh and roll their eyes because there is a bittersweet fun in the asking.  As the video progresses, the real fun was in watching the adults.  For them, for a moment, it was like being a kid again.
    I wonder what the airline would have made of my list?
     Dear Santa, 
    I think I have been pretty good this year.  I have tried to control my temper - not always very successful, I admit.  But I think my patience has improved.  So Santa, if I could have anything in the world, I would love it if Jarrad could walk again or least not be in any pain.  I know that is probably beyond your ken, so instead, I would ask for an accessible house and a van.  I would ask for a time/space warp machine similar to what you use on Christmas night so that I could go visit my folks and friends in the blink of an eye.  A winning lottery ticket would be nice too.  
   So Santa, if you think you could see your way clear to any of these things, that would be great. 
Sincerely, 

Belinda
Age 37
   There is something in the asking.  I know that we will have the house someday - we have a plan! And hopefully, the van will happen in the next couple of months - it would be awesome if it came on Christmas!  I would actually have to buy a lottery ticket for that to work and who knows what breakthroughs science will come up with?  

No comments:

Post a Comment