Saturday, December 7, 2013

Update # 4,598

    Blah -  I hate this. All of it.  I have been putting off writing this because my brain hurts when I think about it - I don't understand all of the information that I am told.  And sometimes, I feel like Jarrad and I are hearing 2 different things because I am not always there when the doctors/nurses come in.  I also hate the fact that I am relieved that Jarrad has round the clock care that isn't my bumbling self.  I hate the fact that he isn't home and is stuck in a hospital that is far away.  I hate that the house is a wreck and that I can only sleep when I am exhausted.  I hate that is December and he isn't here to enjoy my determination to do everything right!
    I will try to convey what I know and understand so far.  On Wednesday, it was decided that they were going to debreed the incision - that means clean it out surgically.  The doctor thought that the bone was creating a bowl and that the blood was pooling in it - like a stagnate pond.  Oh - and did you know that blood separates like milk?  Maybe I did a long time ago . . . anyway, the stuff leaking out was the plasma part and the rest was settling into the "bowl" and becoming a breeding ground for bacteria. When we went home the first time, the doctor told me to lift Jarrad's leg to 90 degrees when he laid down to push the blood out.  Ok.  The first time I did it, blood went squirting out everywhere!  Yeah.  It was gross.  I don't know why I thought it would stay inside . . . but then it started seeing out on it's own and bleeding through the bandages . . .  that is when we went to the GP and consequently to the ER.
    Back to Wednesday, December 4th,  Jarrad went into surgery around 3 pm.  Fortunately, there wasn't much of a bowl and the infection had just started.  They were able to clean it out.  Unfortunately, in the original surgery on the 20th, some of the bone on the top of the femur broke off.  I am not sure what or how but it is probably because Jarrad has osteoporosis. I am not sure how bad that fact is...
    The incision looks good so far.  They hit Jarrad with a broad spectrum antibiotic because they aren't sure what the bacteria is.  Jarrad is hooked up to a wound vac which sucks the blood out so it won't pool like it did before.  It will even come home with us for hopefully just 2 weeks.  Home Health is going to come out and change it and check it (like we wanted them to the first time. . . )
    Jarrad looks pink and not gray.  He is ready to come home.  I am ready for him to come home and I feel like I will be a better person because I know that someone who knows what they are doing will be coming in to check on him. 

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for pretty pink and and home health care! (Never thought I'd type pretty pink in reference to a male...but this is a good thing!) Praying you can get some rest in the meanwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica, You made me laugh! Thanks for your prayers. I am hoping that the weather cooperates for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete