Monday, January 20, 2014

Food

    I have never been thin.  Well, maybe before puberty. . . I wish that I could go back to my pre- kid days and tell myself that my body was fabulous because I really wish that I were 25 lbs lighter. Sigh.
    When Jarrad was in the hospital, I lost 20 lbs.  I don't know how because I made sure I ate 3 balanced meals. I had to make sure because the night of  THE EVENT, I didn't really eat.  I did munch on a granola bar simply because my friend gently twisted my arm.  She was right - I needed to eat and drink water.  Funny, how things stick with you. Later, I was so light headed after I finally saw Jarrad after his 4 hour surgery, my knees wouldn't hold me.  I went down and all I could think of was that I couldn't let myself get to that point again.  I needed to keep it together and part of that was eating - even when I didn't feel like it.   
    That incident that made me  hyper aware of nutrients.  I made sure I had fruit and veggies and protein every day - 3 times a day.  Oh, and water.  Lots of water (and one large chi tea latte daily- the hospital did have a Starbucks).  I didn't exercise at all - unless you count the daily walk from the parking garage to the hospital.  Still, I lost 20 lbs.  Friends tell me it was my nervous energy.  I don't know.  I do know that others in my situation have also reported weight loss when their EVENTS happened.
   They also reported a 20 -30 lb weight gain when things settled.  Settled means that loved one is home and the nurses and therapists are gone.  It means doing all of it on your own.   I think I gained weight because I justified eating like this:  by 8 everyone is settled.  Jarrad and the kids are asleep and I haven't had a chance to eat dinner so I sit down to eat and keep eating because if I am eating, I am taking care of myself -nutrients-and therefore can ignore the laundry, dishes, dusting, sweeping, mail, bathrooms - everything.  Because it is only 8 and there is so much that I need to do but if I was eating, I was allowed to sit down. 
    I kept on eating because it felt good.   Food is energy and I was sooo tired.  And I gained 25 lbs.
     Sigh.
     So now I have to change my mind set.  Food is energy and I need to determine if I am hungry or just tired.  It is a hard habit to break.
   Especially when you are watching food competitions or reading about food that friends make (you know who you are!).  I don't like to cook but I love it when I make a beautiful dinner for my family.  There is a source of pride in it for me.
    I try to like cooking - I even try new recipes.  And sometimes, I find one I love.  Like the one pictured above for pork chops.  I don't like cooking pork chops - don't care for them BBQed and stuffing is too involved.    But I stumbled on this recipe - don't know from where - Spark recipes?  and fell in love with it.  YUM!  Quick,  easy and uses the grill so little clean up - love the grill!
    A heavy 1/4 cup of honey
    3 tbs of soy sauce
    6 cloves of minced garlic (or I do 4 tsps. of the minced in a jar)
    6 pork chops
    Mix together the honey, soy and garlic.  I like to heat it in the microwave for 30 seconds to warm up the honey - makes it easier to pour.
     Pour over the pork chops and let marinate over night.
     Grill until done.
     You can boil the left over honey soy sauce for dipping if you like.  2 minutes folks - rolling boil!
    Serve with Jasmine rice, baby peas and peaches.
    And wish that you had doubled the batch! 
  • Calories: 204.3 
  • Total Fat: 5.7 g
  • Cholesterol: 48.4 mg
  • Sodium: 518.2 mg
  • Total Carbs: 18.4 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 0.2 g
  • Protein: 19.9 g

No comments:

Post a Comment