Wednesday, April 6, 2016

bullies

     We tell our children to stand up to bullies.  We try to protect them from bullies.  And with each generation, there is more to protect them from.  And with every generation, there are new and different ways of the same old bullying.  And somewhere along the line, we think that bullies stay in childhood.  We forget that bullies grow up.  Sometimes, they mature and change their ways and other times they turn into abusers and create new bullies in their image and other times they become more subtle.
     2 years ago, I got the perfect part time job. A job that I loved.  I got a compassionate manager and fantastic co workers.  The pay wasn't much but it was enough to cover extra expenses. 
    And then things changed. 
    A bully was hired.  I call him a bully because that is what he is.  It is subtle.  But the comments made, the phrases are enough that you are left going, huh?  What?  Did he just say what I think he did? 
    Right now, I am not working.  I was on the schedule and in the course of 24 hours, I was off.  All I was told was that there "is no position" for me.  I feel like this is punishment but I am not sure what for.  If I were to guess, it would be because I questioned the director.  I confronted him and he didn't like it.
    I went to HR and reported it and was told that it wasn't punishment. Surprisingly, HR was told the it was to be a reduction of hours.  Hmmm.  They were also told that this was a temporary schedule.  Hmmm.  I don't think HR knows what is going on. I also don't think that the director thought that I would go to HR.  Hmmm.  I do my job; I do it well.  I am polite and friendly.  I do what is asked and more.  I am also not the newest person on staff so . . .
    Apparently, there is supposed to be a meeting next week.  I would like to think that I would get some answers but if it follows the pattern it has before, I won't get anything.  It makes me sad because I know my time at the library is limited.  I know that if I do stay, I will be penalized. It will be subtle but it will happen.  I might be fired just because he can.
     I love my job.  I love the people I work with.  I love the little bit of extra money that allows us to breathe and dream and hope.  I am scared of what will happen.  But this person already bullied 2 others into leaving and I guess I am next.  If I can, hopefully, I can add to the process of getting rid of him because no one deserves to be treated this way. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your kind words about me. I am so sorry you are going through this...I was hoping once I was gone he would chill, but apparently not. I would recommend everyone use the County Alert Line anonymously so as not to get punished like you are.

    ReplyDelete