Wednesday, June 26, 2013

and the hospital bag

   I would say that I have become something of an expert on the hospitals in our area.  There are a lot and we haven't visited all of them but we have been to the major ones.
   And I think I can say that no matter how nice a hospital and/or it's personal is, going to a hospital SUCKS!!!
    I hate going.  I really hate ER's.  I hate waiting.  I hate the cubicles and the small beds.  I hate all the reasons why you go.
   Yesterday, we went to the ER.  Long story as short as I can, Jarrad experienced an episode of autonomic dysreflexia.  Usually, when he starts to feel the symptoms, he heads it off by taking care of what we think is causing it - ie shifting or cathing.  But yesterday, that didn't seem to work.  He looked so bad that his co-workers called for an ambulance.  And at 8:30 am, he was delivered to the ER where he didn't leave until 6:30 pm.
    Oh, he is ok.  It resolved itself.  Still not sure what it was but it got taken care of.  Still, they wanted to do tests and tests and more tests.
    So I packed the kids up and off we went to see Daddy.
    Now,  if for some reason, you think that you will be going to the hospital on occasion, I recommend a grab bag for the hospital.  It is a bag that you grab that has stuff that you might need.  Especially if you might need to occupy 2 children. 
    So what goes in a grab bag?  Anything you might need but is still easy to carry as you walk out of the parking garage while holding the hands of 2 kids and trek through a hospital.   A zipper is good to have on said bag in case you need to throw it to the ground to grab a curious child who - while you are trying to get your bearings - steps back on the elevator just as the doors start to close- not that that ever happened to me, of course. 
 
1.  Always pack snacks-I cannot stress that enough.  Snacks are a GREAT distraction.  I pack the healthy snacks separate from the candy just so I can pull out the healthy ones first and the kids don't see the candy.  Raisins, PB crackers, and granola bars are good staples.  Make sure you pack adult snacks too, because well, it is hospital food.  Pack your own water, just in case. I used to have quarters in there (good tip from a friend) but I took them out for school milk - opps!  Anyway, quarters serve a dual purpose of snack and a rousing game of "Let's go find the vending machine" followed by "You get to push buttons".  Some hospitals are very kind and will give the kid's snacks- take them!  The novelty is fun!   

Activities - I have a couple of Dollar Store puzzles, notepaper, markers, coloring books and magazines that we have already read in the bag.  I also make sure my IPOD and Kindle are always charged.  They can be thrown in quickly.  I am a Amazon Prime member so with hospital WIFI, I know that the kids always have something to acceptable to watch.  When we were going to dr. visits and hospitals on a regular basis, I packed a charger too.  Took it out for some reason but it used to be in there.

Kids' meal toys and small dollar toys are great to take along.  You can also put a deck of Go Fish, Old Maid or regular playing cards in the bag.  My kids will play and color with the Kindle playing in the background.  Card games are great if you know what you are there for aka visiting Daddy because he broke his leg.  ER visits, well, don't play the card games- you won't be able to focus.

Hygiene - Sick people go to hospitals!  So take hand wipes for messy kids and cough drops and tissues (hospital tissues are like sandpaper).  Other tips?  Ask for a blanket to put on the floor.  It makes a nice place for the kids to sit and defines where they are allowed to go.  Get 2 if you can, just in case you need to separate kids (This is HIS blanket and you are not allowed on it.  No, your toe CANNOT be on your sister's blanket!)  If you are going a lot, have each child carry a backpack with stuff so it can free your hands up and they can take ownership of their own toys. I had almost decided to do away with a grab bag but hadn't quite gotten there.  I had slowly been taking things out but I hadn't emptied it completely.  It is one less thing to think about if I need to run out the door.                                                                                                                



             


No comments:

Post a Comment