Friday, June 14, 2013

Want to be "that mom" so I made towel ponchos

     Pinterest is awesome - awesome at collecting ideas and awesome at making you feel inadequate!  I love it.  I do.  I want to be "that Mom"  that creates awesome meals and activities for her kids.  I kind of hate these moms and yet, I am about to do what they do.  Post my own "creation".  Why?  Because I am proud of myself.  And as a stay at home mom, sometimes you go a little nuts.
    My mom was a stay at homer.  I asked her once how she did it.  She told me she sewed and crafted. Now, I do it.  Others in my acquaintance do it.  They sew, can, garden and create awesome meals and activities.  And then share it because we understand the why we do it and can truly appreciate the creation.
   Last  week, the kids went with my folks to the beach.  Mom asked if I would provide the beach towels so she wouldn't have to pack them.  Which got me to thinking about lugging things to the beach and kids who have to hold a towel because they are  freezing and can't grab a pail.  Which made me think of a friend who has these terry cloth ponchos that she uses for her kids.
    One similar to this one I found on Amazon for 14.50 - great  but also not very big as it is designed for a toddler.  SO I looked on pinterest - gathered some info and made my own - 2 - for about the same price.


I bought 2 towels (4 total but 2 for one poncho) for this project.  I cut them in half - making Emma's more than half so it would be longer.  I wanted this to "grow" with the kids.  Anyway, I cut it in half(ish) to make the 2 pieces of the body.  Then hemmed the rough edges. 

For the hood, I cut up the excess piece to about the same size as a hand towel.  It probably would have been prettier with a hand towel and it's finished edges.  As it was, I sewed the fringie edges up on the hood piece.

I attached the hood piece to one of the body pieces. 



Sew the 2 body pieces together but leave the hood area open.

Turn the hood inside out and sew. 

Sew the corner  - I don't know what you call it but I am sure that there is a technical name for it - so you have less of a pointy head!  All in all, it took about an hour to make each on

Take pictures of your models - who love them!  Field test says that they worked really well.   I saw a tutorial that had a pocket on the front.  Maybe I will go back and add one later but . . .For now, it works.  And I feel - for a moment - that I am that mom. 




1 comment: