Saturday, July 13, 2013

on being an adult

I HAVE ARRIVED! 
   I had my very first blog hate comment!  You know, if you ever read an article or blog, sometimes there is that one person who just is hateful.  Yep.  I got one. But it wasn't even about me.  Sheesh.  I deleted it.  But it got me to thinking . . . 
    When I was in Jr. High or for you youngins' middle school, I passed a note and in said note was nasty mean girl-ness.  At the time, the practice was to read notes aloud  - at least that is what I remember -  because when my note was intercepted, I remember thinking, "Crap."   But then the teacher did something that I will never forget.  She gave me back the note and said, "Write your words as if the whole world is going to read them and know you for those words."  
    Hmmm.....
    How many times have people posted things and caused a fight? 
    Did you see the story about Rick Santorum?  For me, the point wasn't about boy scouts/gay leaders/gay scouts the point is an ADULT acted that way with CHILDREN.  What was he teaching those boys?  He certainly didn't help his cause and he certainly didn't gain any supporters.  Someone should have pulled that man aside and told him he was being childish.
    What is it about the internet that implies you can forget basic manners?  Don't agree with a post or a statement?  Do it with class and don't denigrate a person if you don't like his or her opinion.  There is too much bashing and not a enough conversation. 
    How many times has a person become known for their words?  Paula Deen anyone?  Or how many times has a twist of a phrase doomed someone's career? Pick a politician - any one of them!  Proverbs 21:23 says that "those who guard their mouths and their tongues keep themselves from calamity."  Other versions say that you will guard your soul from trouble.  
     I am not saying that I have always been the epitome of this.  I don't keep my mouth shut and I do stick my foot in it but when I write something, I try 1.  to spell words correctly 2.  Use somewhat good grammar (I am a proponent of functional grammar) and 3.  I want my words to be a force for good and not discord.  
    You know the rule - measure twice and cut once?  I think it should apply to writing as well - read it through twice and then hit send.  Otherwise you might "cut" someone that you didn't wish to.

No comments:

Post a Comment