Saturday, July 20, 2013

what has been going on . . .

    Soooo,  last week Voc. Rehab came out and said that the state is cutting funding and they will no longer help us purchase a van.  Add that to the fact that we were paying for transportation for Jarrad while under the impression that we would receive help with a van, made it quite a blow.
     I never expected to get social security.  Never.  I always thought that I was supporting my grandparents and other older folks that I loved and I was glad for that.  Yes, I knew that it was going to help others too.  I knew some folks who used the system.  I knew some who needed it  and I also knew there were those that abused the system.  I was ok with that because what are you doing to do?  I also felt self righteous pity for them because I never planned on needing the system.  But now we do and now it isn't there.
    We have been honest about everything. We didn't want to feel like we were cheating.  But because of that, we don't have a van for Jarrad now.  We were honest about his carpal tunnel surgery and that caused driver rehab to put his training on hold so that delayed his final evaluation.  If we hadn't done that, we would now have a van for him. 
    He is working so that means he doesn't qualify for any disability. Voc. Rehab.  is supposed to help folks stay working (means helping with transportation until independence ie personal vehicle if possible and work place modifications) because it is cheaper in the long run to fork out X amount than for a person to go on disability.  And yet, with some of these restrictions that are being put in place for ALL of NC, the State is effectively tying Voc Rehab's hands. Folks are being set up to fail.
    That is what is going on state wide but it effects us on a more intimate level.  We can't pay for transportation anymore because we need to save that money to pay for a vehicle.  That means that Jarrad is working from home more.  If he goes into work, I have to take him.  That is 4 40 minute trips with kids. If he stays home, I leave or have the joy of trying to keep kids quiet while daddy is on conference calls. 
    Yeah. 
   It has taken me all week to write this blog.  I guess because I am tired of the whole situation.  It just wears on you. Plan A - nope.  Ok, Plan B - um, scratch that.  How about Plan C?  Not realistic . . .  and so on.          My brain is tired.
    Hence, the cartoon.  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment