Sunday, May 25, 2014

HOME

   Jarrad is home.  Finally.  I hope that this is the end of hospitalizations for a while.  I know it is not because we have another surgery to go through but I am hopeful that perhaps this one will not be as complicated.  Time for more research!
    So, the reason why we were in the hospital (6 days) for so long is because they needed to find out what kind of bacteria was causing the infection. It was a strep versus a staph infection Jarrad's was a strep infection.  Apparently, this is good as a strep has more antibiotic options. 
    This is where I am (again) grateful for my connections.
    Ok, I am fully aware that the human body is complex.  I am also aware that medical staff do not tell you everything - for various reasons.  They don't want to alarm you.  They assume you know.  They don't know - what ever it is.  So I am grateful that I have folks who are able to fill me in.  For example, one of Sam's friend's moms is a nurse.  She has offered to come over day or night if we need help (not a "fake" offer either - you all know what I am talking about).  She was able to explain that doctors/hospitals want you to stay until they determine what the bacteria is and what it will take to knock it out so that you don't have to come back in.  Now,  maybe Duke assumed that we understood it or thought that someone else had explained it or whatever.  I am not complaining at all about this.   It is a side effect of not being able to always be there with Jarrad and/or not being in the medical profession. I am just grateful that I have folks that I can go to for answers. 
    Home health is coming in tomorrow.  They will teach us to what we need to do for his antibiotics and wound care.  I will add it to the list of skills that I am acquiring and hope to never have to use again. 

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for being home!!! Praying these meds knock out the infection quickly.
    What's the van status?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please tell me that hospital visits become less and less! The van - well, that is another tale! For now, it is sitting in our driveway. At least we can use it! Hopefully, this week, they will tell us who won the bid and take it away to begin modifications so J. can drive it.

      Delete