Friday, August 29, 2014

drum roll please (and it isn't even Christmas)....

     We have the van!  Yes, Max is home and Jarrad is driving.  In fact, he went to work today.  And no, I didn't follow him to work- even though I was tempted to!  It is not the first time that he drove to work.  He has driven that way before.  Driver Rehab let him set the routes and so he drove to places that he would frequent.  Today, work.  Tomorrow, movies with friends.  I don't know where else he is going to go but I told him to have fun this weekend!
    So let me introduce you to the newest, and very vital member of our family!
The driver's chair swivels so that he can transfer into it after he rolls up into the van.  The chest strap goes on his chest as an added safety measure. The remote turns the chair.  The chair goes up and down, back and forward and left and right. 

The stick shift looking thing controls the gas and break.  It is Jarrad's hand control. If you look closely to wear the foot pedals are, you can see a cover.  This is to prevent Jarrad having a minor spasm that causes his foot to accidentally hit the foot pedals.  The cover comes off and I can use the foot pedals to drive.  I am not licensed to use the hand controls nor would I want to.  There is also a foot rest that goes in so that it is easier for me to use the pedals - they thought of everything!  Jarrad has a turn knob on the steering wheel that clips in and out.  If I want to drive, it is very easy to take those 2 things off.  I just need to not be startled when the the hand controls move with the pedals! 


Transfer to driver's seat.
Adjusting. We have a griper in the van in case he needs to reach for anything.  I have to organize the van so that everything is right where it needs to be.  I will post that when we have figured out things but velcro, 3M and 31 are going to be a part of that!



Off he goes.  He did text me later and say he got there. Although, the sliding board slid off his chair (see why I need to organize?).  Thankfully, a coworker was there and got it for him.
I have been the only driver for 2 and a half years.  Now, my driving strike begins!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment