Wednesday, August 6, 2014

too good to be true

   Remember in my last post when I said we actually had a date?  Remember my sarcastic comment that we might get it by Christmas? Remember when I said I wasn't going to hold my breath?
   So glad I didn't hold my breath!
   Yes.  It just might be Christmas before Jarrad gets to drive.
   Please just laugh with me now because otherwise I just might cry.  And I think that Jarrad is the one who gets to be frustrated and angry about the whole thing.
   Yep.  Apparently, they need more time to complete the modifications.  Modifications that were a part of the original discussion but never made it into the plan probably because of the time lapse issue.
    YEAH!
    Ok.  I know I said I would be patient so I am going to take a deep breath.
   But there is always that straw - you know that tiny little thing that sends the whole pile toppling over.
   Now we won't have the van and we are going to have to pay for a driver for 2 or more weeks.  Now I have to take Jarrad to his doctor appointment on the 20th - not a problem for me but he was kind of excited about doing it himself and I can feel his disappointment.
    But here is the straw.
    Instead of calling him and asking if he was available for the new date - he is kind of the most important person there; everyone else is not really necessary or they can skype in - no, really they could- a mass email was sent out with a fixed date.
    Um, no.
    You don't  ASSUME; you call and check the CLIENT first.  IT IS OUR VAN.  JARRAD will be the one DRIVING IT!  Don't assume that he is available whenever.  
    This is not the first time that we have run across the mentality that because Jarrad is in a chair, he does not need to be consulted about a schedule.  You know, because folks in wheels don't work and because they can get wherever they want at any time.  I am not being too sensitive about this "assumption" either.  I might try to down play it but the assumption is there and I have proof.  How do I know?  Because when the job is mentioned there is an "oh" that happens.
    A loaded "oh". 
    An "oh" that really says, "I didn't know that you were working.  I thought that you were disabled and therefore, you would not be able to hold down a job.  Wow.  My mind is blown with the concept that you work and/or that someone would hire you."
    Yes.  It is not as simple for Jarrad to get to work as he used to.  There are lots of things that have to be taken into account such as how to get to the office.  Everything else is a matter of schedule and tools - a lap desk, a bench to stretch out on (you don't sit for 8 hours straight), a parking spot where he can park, height appropriate tables, wide walkways, oh, and a bathroom stall that he can use (as in don't just use it because you like the bigger stall).  But other than that, he does a great job!  My response to the "oh" is REALLY?
    Wow.  I think I needed to vent.  

No comments:

Post a Comment