Friday, October 19, 2012

celebrate a birthday - almost 4 decades!

Jarrad's 2nd birthday present
     No, not me!  For the next month and a half, Jarrad is 3 years older than I am.
And a 5 year present
     Happy 38th birthday, Sweetheart.
     This birthday is so bittersweet.  And not just because you are staring down the darkside of 30 (and no, I don't tire of cracking jokes about that!).  Emma just said, "Daddy!  Tomorrow is your birthday!" With only the enthusiasm that comes from a child that is loved and cared for.  She didn't see that your smile didn't quiet reach your eyes.  Someday, maybe, she will understand that growing older isn't necessarily a good thing. 
     I know that we have been challenged and will face more.  Most of our dreams are dead.  Some have been changed.  Growing older has just acquired more
As a teenager - ok, not birthday
challenges than before.  But I still look forward to
growing old with you.  
     I love you.  From the first date, you proved that you were unlike any other guy I had ever met.  You listened to me and thought that what I had to say had merit.  You laughed at my jokes.  You challenged my intellect.  You challenged my world view and made me define my beliefs.  You gave me courage to be myself; to be my better self.  
sharing a birthday with our girl
     You are a gift.

This year  (2009) was a U2 concert

     Happy birthday, my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment