Friday, October 26, 2012

learn lessons

     Poor Sam.  Every day, we take Emma to school and every day, he wants to go too.  He seems to think that school is where he gets to play with other kids (I know, because he says so).  We could send him to preschool but quite frankly, he isn't ready.  He needs to learn quietness.  That doesn't involve sitting in front of a TV.
     Emma is learning to read.  I love hearing her sound out words.  I peeked in on her the other night and heard her trying.  She really loves school and I am so glad.
     Jarrad is learning to transfer without a board.  He is learning not be afraid.
     And me, well, God is smacking me over the head with this lesson;  I need to change my mind.
     I can't tell you the number of devotions or articles I have read or heard lately that talk about my thoughts and my mind.  Ready for a science lesson that (once again) proves God?  That sounds convoluted.  God proves science, some would say but we are a backwards people who like to have our theories prove the author as opposed to the other way around. 
    Ok, so, any pattern of thought or action creates a groove in our brain.  Usually, it is light and the brain "heals" from it.  But if the pattern or thought is repeated, it creates a groove (kind of like the ones on our carpet from Jarrad's chair).  Eventually, the groove becomes deeper and deeper so that it is a permanent part of our brain.  You can read about it here http://www.philipshapiro.com/art-habits.html if you are really interested.  I am not endorsing Dr. Shapiro; this just happened to be the first article I found and I was struck by The Buddha's quote.
     What is significant is that God told us from the beginning about this; even though at the time, the workings of the brain were not understood.  HE KNEW because He created the brain how the brain works.  HE KNEW that if we keep an action going, it becomes a very real part of us.  That is why we are told in Romans 12:2 to "not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." NIV or as some other translations put it,

 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, 
but let God transform you into a new person by changing 
the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, 
which is good and pleasing and perfect.  NLT
or

Don't become like the people of this world. 
Instead, change the way you think. Then you will always be 
able to determine what God really wants-what is good, 
pleasing, and perfect. God's Word Translation 

    It is why children's books such as "The Little Engine that Could"  are such classics. It is why we have self - help books.  It is why we have affirmations. It is why we talk about "effective habits". 
     I have been bombarding myself with negative thoughts since I was an adolescent so much so that I never thought I would never be worth a second glance.  Then I met Jarrad.  He was unlike any guy I had ever met.  I had felt so unlovely growing up that it still is in my head that I am not attractive.  I am working to overcome that.  (It is not easy).  But even more so, I need to change the "This sucks" and "This is so hard" thoughts of this recent experience.  Because that is what will pull me and my family down.  It is what the world would do.  I think of Job. He was expected to behave a certain way.  Everyone did but he didn't do that.  Only God knew he wouldn't.  I guess that is because Job renewed his mind.  See how the OT connects to the NT?  I love seeing the interconnections of everything and that is only one example. 
     Yes, this sucks and it is hard - no one would dispute that but it could be worse.  It could be harder.  I need to find what is pleasing and perfect in this because it is God's plan.  This is meant to be pleasing and perfect and my mind needs to reflect that.  I can't even say "I think I can"  it has to be "I know I can".  
      That is going to be hard BUT I know I can do it (with a little help).




No comments:

Post a Comment