Sunday, December 2, 2012

birthday . . . again

    Happy 36th Birthday to ME!
    As a mom, there are certain things that you give up - like someone else making you a cake for your birthday.
    Jarrad is going to read this, and his first reaction will be hurt.  Sweetheart, I love you but let's face it, these last few years, you have just been too busy to make me a cake (and to be fair, folks, he has bought stuff).  I would much rather that you spent your time playing with the kids or cuddling with me than baking me a cake.
    However, as a mom, you realize that your children need the cake for there to be a birthday.   And they get just as excited over your birthday as their own.  Ok, maybe not as excited but they expect you to be excited - even if it is just because there is cake.  So you wait till they are in bed and you make your OWN cake.
    I am not a cake person.  I prefer pie.  Mom made me a pie (Thanks Mom) last weekend for my birthday (she also got me a trip to a spa - whoo hoo!). Side note:  children need cakes ON the birthday.   There is one cake, however, that I do like.  It is Jarrad's carrot cake.  He made it for the first birthday we spent together so it has a lot of special memories in addition to be the best carrot cake ever.

WARNING:  Making and eating this carrot cake will ruin all other carrot cakes for you.  Make and eat with this knowledge.

Jarrad's Carrot Cake 
aka I love you cake 
because my birthday is when he told me he  loved me.  
Can I get some "Ahhhh"s?

1 c. sugar
1 c. oil
3 eggs
1 1/4 c. of flour
1 1/3 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/3 tsp baking soda
1 1/3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 c. grated carrots
Optional:
1/2 c. of chopped walnuts
2/3 c. of raisins (although not adding raisins does take away some of the sweetness)

Preheat oven to 300

If using raisins, heat water for 2 min on high in microwave and put raisins in to "plump".  When ready to use, drain water and add.

Mix sugar and oil.  Add eggs one at a time.  Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.  Gradually blend into oil mixture.  Add grated carrots.  Add nuts and raisins.  Pour into 9x13 or 2 8 inch pans and bake for 1 hour. 

NOTES:  Go heavy on the carrots and don't worry about chunks - it is all good.  Also - you can use rice flour for a gluten free alternative.  Add more cinnamon to taste as it will hide the rice flavor.  The cakes won't rise as much as with flour and you can hardly taste a difference.

Cream Cheese Icing

8 oz of cream cheese
1/2 cup of butter -both have to be soft so set out while you make the cake.
approx. 1 cup of powdered sugar (depends on your taste)
approx. 1 tbs of cream or milk 

PS - this is for those of you to whom I have promised the recipe - promise fulfilled.  

No comments:

Post a Comment