Saturday, June 2, 2012

fall and rise and . . .

     It is so hard to not ask for more.  I have been so blessed even before this incident happened.  I have 2 beautiful children.  A loving extended family, really good friends and a fantastic husband.  I was having a charmed life and then all of this happened.
     Even in this, we are blessed.  God was good and everything worked out so that Jarrad still has use of his upper body.  Jarrad didn't have any complications.  When I was worrying about finances, we got some breathing room.  Jarrad seemed to be doing so much better.  I felt like we had a plan.
     Then the plan is yanked out from under us.  We can't go to rehab because of the fracture on his wrist.  Really?  You are telling  me that all folks with spinal cord injuries ONLY have a spinal cord injury and NO OTHER BROKEN BODY PARTS???
     So, until his arm heals in another 8 weeks - he can't put weight on it till then - he can't go to acute rehab but can go to subacute rehab.  THEN, he can go to acute rehab and learn how to do all these things that we take for granted - like moving from your bed to a chair.
     Ok, I get it.  But it seems like a backwards step and was really discouraging. 
    And then comes my army of friends.  (YEAH!!)  See the problem is, the acute rehab facility doesn't know Jarrad like we do.  They don't even know him like the therapists at Duke do.  When one of the therapists heard, her comment was, "Do they know he can use his elbow?"  So we are going to try another facility.  Is it one of the best in the country?  It doesn't have that label but they seem more willing to take Jarrad now and we think that is what is best for us.
     He doesn't want to go back.  He wants to come home.  He wants to get back to work.  He wants to compete in the Paralympics!!!
     I don't know where we are going or when or what the future holds.  But I do know that we loved, we are supported.  We don't just have family but we have a community of friends.  I don't think that any of them are going anywhere.

3 comments:

  1. Yes you are loved! I know i'm not going anywhere and not planning to stop praying. Just remember, God can turn our messes into miracles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not going anywhere!!!!!! Ok, except to Boston for a few days, but I promise I will come back! :) Love you much and I can't wait to hear what other facilities you are considering! THANK YOU for lending me your child for the last few days- she and Christina are SO good and sweet to each other, I have to choke back tears when I hear them being so loving and calling each other "sister". It makes me ever more grateful for our friendship and for the blessing they have of friends that they have known since they were wee ones. :) LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I wasn't going to say anything, but occasional trips to Brasil don't count right? And sometimes Massachusetts, and sometimes the beach, and sometimes Indiana... Oh well, I am your friend even when I am far away. Love you

    ReplyDelete