Friday, June 8, 2012

graduate preschool

      Life moves on.  I had a friend yesterday say to me, you would like to be able to pause it for a little while so you can just get something done.  Or something to that effect.  But life keeps going.  2 friends had planed trips this week and both of them said to me that they didn't want to go and leave me here (have I mentioned all the great friends I have?) but that is impossible.  The world doesn't stop just because my world hit a pot hole.  Even my world keeps going -albeit a bit more roughly.
     Last night, my Emma graduated preschool.  I remember when we decided to send her.  She looked at us one early spring and announced that she wanted to go to school.  Probably because she was tired of always being told that her friends were in "school" when she wanted a playdate.  Some were, some weren't.  So we signed her up with Butner Presbyterian PreK.  It is awesome.  We have been so happy there for the past 2 years.  She had great teachers and really loved it.  And last night, she graduated.

I'm a little graduate.
Emma with Mrs. Zink and Mrs. Johnson -her awesome teachers!
Aren't you proud of me?
I learned my numbers and my ABC's.
I made lots of friends 
and I had fun too.
Now, I'm off to the big kid school
(sung to "I'm a little Tea Pot)


     Yesterday, Jarrad moved to a subacute facility.  What that means, is that he will get more therapy than in the hospital but it will allow his body to finish healing before he goes to acute care which will teach him how to use his new body.   And when I say new, I mean that.  He has lost 23 lbs.  He has lost muscle tone.  I used to be so jealous of his legs!  They were muscular and he has great ankles.  Really, too nice to be on a man.  But you can tell, he has lost muscle tone.  He is glad to be out of the hospital and moving on and getting on with this new life.  In a way, he graduated yesterday too.
Emma talking to Daddy after graduation
     He also got to see his daughter graduate.  I may be a bit redundant with the words I use but there are only so many words on our earth and I have yet to find ones that adequately express the support and love that have rained down on us.  I asked if it would be possible to skype the graduation.  I didn't hold out much hope as the church is an old one.   The most I hoped for was a DVD (which I got).  The teachers had already been investigating it.  They didn't skype it (as we all know that sometimes has its own issues) but were able to stream it so Jarrad could watch.  That was the only time I cried.
     When I juxtapose what should have been with what is, I start to cry.  So I try not to.  I am learning to let tomorrow take care of itself and try to focus on today.  Partly because I know the world is going to keep on turning and partly because today leaves me too tired to do much else.  Matthew 6:28  says . . . Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin . . . The primary lesson of this verse is to not worry because God will take care of us.  But I think that there is a second lesson here too.  To "consider" means to pay attention to or think carefully about.  That takes time.  And I need to take time.  Time to be with my kids or be with Jarrad.  Worry, that takes too much time.  And I don't have time for it.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on Emma's preschool graduation!

    You and Jarrad are in my prayers daily. I can't really even imagine what you're going through, but God knows the strength and love and comfort you both need. I pray you feel His strength for today, and then for tomorrow.

    Prayers and hugs,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Belinda, I love your positive spirit, I love your family, I love that Jarrad got to see Emma graduate. Thank you for sharing Matthew 6:28 with all of us, sometimes we all need to hear the truth and remember to stop and spend our time on things that are most important. Time with our God, time with our families, thats what is important here on earth. We are continuing to pray for you all and Jarrad's therapy and rehab. Please let us know if there is anything we can do from far away. Love you all
    Heather Francis

    ReplyDelete