Saturday, April 13, 2013

public school

     This past week, we had our last Parent Teacher Conference for (Emma's) kindergarten experience.  She has really enjoyed her experience at school.  And we are really pleased with her progress.  I am so glad that we ultimately decided to send her to public school.  
     In the Mommy (Daddy) wars, there are many battles. 
     The Battle of Staying Home vs. Working.  
     The Battle of Day Care
     The Battle of Homeschool vs. Outside Education
     There are many smaller battles or skirmishes along the way - To Nurse or Not to Nurse, Clothe Diapers, When to start Solids.  The enemy is  never the same either.  Most of the time, the enemy is ourselves, public opinion/ friends or sometimes it is the grandmothers.  Sometimes it is our spouse.  Other times, it is a civil war as in the Battle of the Potty or Clean Hands Skirmish or the Eat Veggies Debacle.
     I think that Jarrad and I have won most of our battles.  At least, we feel victorious.  And we really feel victorious in the battle of education.  The proof is in the parent teacher conferences.  Her teachers say she is a delight.  A joy.  She has "lovely manners" (via her British teachers aid).  She has also mastered Kindergarten.  I asked her teacher about the last few days and her response was that Emma could stop coming now and be ready for 1st grade.  I am really proud of my daughter.  I know her class was pretty wild this year and yet she remained focused and listened to her teachers. 
    At the end, Jarrad asked what we could do over the summer.  The response was read and have her read.  He also asked what we could do for the classroom.  The ironic response was parent other children. 
    I get it. 
    And this is not a slam against homeschooling.  I know quite a few who homeschool.  Most of whom are excellent teachers.  A few are not.  But that is just my opinion.
    Still there is a debate amongst those that want to give the best to their children - is public school the right choice?  I can't afford private school but should I really send my kids out into the big bad world? 
    Public school gets a bad rap. 
    Too often in the media, the attention is on the teachers.  They aren't doing enough.  They need to be innovative. They aren't smart enough; I mean, those that can't, teach, right?  Or there isn't enough money in schools.  We need to pour more money into the system and THAT is the reason why schools are failing kids. 
     Again, in my opinion, the system that has worked for over a 100 years isn't broken.  It is the parents. 
    You know the saying, a few bad apples spoil the bunch?  It is true. 
     Money won't fix the problem.  Parents who care will.  You want proof?  Look at the Black schools of the south.  They had crap.  Nothing. And yet, they "still" turned out educated professionals who dramatically added to our quality of life today.  Why?  Parents who had a passion for their children. 
    Teachers are the problem.  Yes.  Yes. They are.  When you have to teach and parent, you can't do a good job teaching, if at all. 
    And yes, this is my soap box. 
    When you send your child to school, you aren't really sending.  You are adding a person to your arsenal of guiding your child.  Don't just wipe your hands off and say, "This is your job" because if you don't do your job, they can't do theirs. 
   Don't "send" your kids to school.  Be a part of it.  That does not mean you have to "be involved" in the school, it means you are INVOLVED IN YOUR CHILD.  That also means that you don't take an aggressive stance against the teacher  - remember, they are your PARTNER; not your adversary so don't treat them as such.
     There are a lot of battles in life.  Imagine feeling like you are losing more battles than winning and you can imagine what a teacher feels like.  Oh, and by the way, if the teacher feels like he/she is losing the battle with your kid, you just might be losing the battle with your kid too.

3 comments:

  1. AMEN!!! I hope you don't think we battle over our differing school choices. I totally respect yours and if every parent were like you and Jarrad, I would have NO reservation about sending the kids to public school. It's *not* the teachers. Yes, there are a few bad apples (I had some who showed vides, or had us read Time magazine as our "work") but I had some great ones too. When I was in school, my mom was you. Even then, as an elementary student I knew the problem was parental un-involvement. They treated school like free babysitting, or just something their kids "did." You don't just turn your kids over to the school at five and check out. You walk along side them, work with them, in some instances (boy I have these last two years) LEARN WITH THEM, help them, encourage them, find out their weaknesses and help strengthen them, foster their strengths and be their parent and leader in education. The teacher is their facilitator, the parent is where the buck stops.

    Sometimes I've very ebullient about hsing on my blog because I'm amazed that I can actually teach my kid *anything* LOL! I also contribute to a CC blog roll so I have to write some things. I hope it doesn't come across as bragging or trying to make hsing look superior. It's just a huge (huuuge, exhausting) facet of my life. We have talked about this - and you know there may be some changes as a result. I only have 100% to give. I'm praying for what we texted about, may it come to pass.

    I've never understood the axiom "Those who can't, teach." I don't have anything else to say about it, other than I just never understood it, it made no sense other than a slam.

    Anyway, great blog post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, you KNOW you are one of the good HSers. And it wasn't a slam because I know I couldn't do it. I wish I could and if I had to I would but I know myself and know I wouldn't do well. What I can do is support - just like I will support your decisions and be a sounding board whenever you want!

      Delete
  2. Your daughter's teachers are fortunate to have you as partners. Your desired relationship with them and your confidence in their role in your daughter's life will give them HOPE! Much of what you said has been our experience in public school as parents. However, sometimes I wonder if my experience doesn't translate to other contexts because of how different the educational climate is in New Orleans since Katrina. Thanks for posting. Light of Jesus shines brightest in the darkest places. God uses us to be His Light. Not easy, but well worth it.

    ReplyDelete