Friday, April 5, 2013

thank you Hampton Inn

   When we were discussing going to PA, my parents offered to let us stay in their room which is on the ground floor of their house.  We could have done that but there was no way that Jarrad could have taken a shower (they have just a shower stall).  So my mom put in the time to go to different area hotels and check out the wheelchair accessible rooms.
     You would think that something called a "handicap room" would be able to accommodate a wheelchair - I mean, how much more "handicap" can you get?  But that is not the case.   Not all "accessible" rooms are wheelchair friendly - even if you call ahead and specify "wheelchair friendly" as we found out on our way home from rehab, you might get put into an accessible room that is for the hearing impaired or a clerk will tell you that they can "put up grab bars" which is all well and good IF the chair can get into the bathroom.  Mom went to at least 4 different hotels to check them out.  One was no go - the grab bar thing.  One was ok but kind of dingy.  One was an awesome and beautiful but that was about 200 a night - not happening.  Then there was the Hampton Inn in Ephrata - 12 miles from their house.  But it was booked.  Still, Mom asked to be called if there was a cancellation and since we knew the front desk clerk (my SIL's neice - yeah for family connections), we knew that if there was, we would get a call.
    Sure enough, she called about a week later.  Reasonably priced room and a reasonable distance.  And Mom said she would keep the kids at her house!  YEAH!!!
    Still, before we got the call, I was distressed.  It was still 6 weeks out from our trip which I think was plenty of time but I was having a hard time locating a room for us.  It appears that most hotels only have 3 accessible rooms only 1 of which is a wheelchair room and it goes pretty quick (apparently, to non wheelchair users).  I was not happy as I was calling around Lancaster County aka tourist country trying to find a room that we could use.
    I cried.
    Really, does no one think that wheeled folks might want to travel?  And only 1 room per hotel that can accommodate a wheelchair???
   I have received no compensation for what I am about to write - although if someone wants to hook me up, I will be glad to write an official and honest blurb for Hampton Inn and Suites.  
    In my quest for a room, I called another Hampton in Lancaster  and talked to the front desk there.  When I explained (and they didn't have a room either) what I was looking for, the young lady there offered me 3 different hotels (not all a part of the Hampton Empire) with phone numbers and the tourism office number to call as she was sure that if the hotels didn't have a room, the tourism office would be able to help me locate someplace.  Fortunately, I found a room and then the Ephrata Hampton called.  I was impressed with both the Lancaster and Ephrata staff.  Professional and very helpful.
   Our room was extremely clean.  The staff was great - helping Jarrad get coffee.  The bed - well. . .  it was not our bed.  We slept as well as we could on it but what can you say about a hotel bed? Better than a stable??? 
    We had a great view.  The hotel is on a hill and overlooks Ephrata, which is a pretty little town.  There was an Applebee's nearby and the hotel had a pool with a lift for Jarrad - which he did use.
   All in all, it was good.
   Still, Dorothy, there is no place like home!







No comments:

Post a Comment