Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Another Birthday

   Dear Sam,
Wishing that Thomas would be his brother (sleepovers EVERY night!)
    Today, you are 4.  While sometimes I despair that you will never learn to use a fork, I would not trade you for the world.  I love your craziness with all my heart.  I love it because you will snuggle with me.  I love it because you insist on kissing my nose good night (weird but loveable) and I remember these things when you are throwing a royal fit or when you are up on stage in church NOT singing the song . . .
    I love your ingenuity and your confidence.  I love your compassion.  I love your bravery.  This year was hard and you had your moments but you adapted.  And when you heard me crying, you put your arms around me and cried too. Even brave boys can be scared once in a while.  And you are brave.  You touch snakes and worms.  You try new foods.  You make new friends. 
    I love the fact that you stand up for the ones that you care for.  I remember when I was acting out the part of the "mean teacher", you thought I was yelling at a friend and rushed to her rescue.  Maybe someday you will learn to not just offer protection from others but also from yourself.  It really isn't nice to bonk Emma on the head.
   I love your logic - "Sam, you can't have any cake until you eat 3 pieces of chicken."
   "But Mommy!  It's my BIRTHDAY!"
   Yes, my son - my sweet, weird, loveable boy.  It is your birthday.  Have a big piece of cake. 
   Happy Birthday!
                                                  Love,
                                                  Mom
Loving his birthday present!




No comments:

Post a Comment